09 December 2015

Crossroads Quilt-Along with FQS

Photo courtesy of Fat Quarter Shop
Have you heard about Fat Quarter Shop's Crossroads Quilt-Along? This is such an amazing project that Fat Quarter Shop has generously put it together to benefit the March of Dimes. Every month from February to August 2016, there will be a free pattern posted so you can make this gorgeous quilt! All we are being asked to do is make a small donation for the use of each free pattern and of course all proceeds will benefit the March of Dimes.
Photo courtesy of Fat Quarter Shop 
Fat Quarter Shop has invited me, along with several other designers to participate in this amazing project and today we are sharing a little about the crossroads of our own lives. 
The most important crossroad I have faced was during my parents' divorce. I was 10 years old and really concerned about my lack of control in the matter. I spent several weeks crying and worrying about what was in store for my life. One afternoon something changed; I had an epiphany of sorts. It may sound obvious, but I realized that if I wanted to be successful and happy, it was all up to me. What a glorious revelation! From that day forward, I decided to choose happiness and love always. It has governed my life.. 
Olive is thrilled but Lorenzo decided to snooze. 
My bright outlook on life has been such a boon to me in times of turmoil. I have been pretty quiet about it, but this year has actually been a really tough one for me as I went through a divorce. In my darkest moments, I have been buoyed up by a choice to be grateful for all the wonderful things that I do have in my life. We all endure difficult situations in life but we have a choice about what we will do next.
 (That's the real story behind my inspiration for Little Miss Sunshine by the way. "She always look on the bright side.")
 
Thanks for reading! I hope you'll follow along and join us in such a great cause. Thank you to Fat Quarter Shop for putting this together!

22 comments:

  1. I am so excited to get to quilt along with you this year. You are an inspiration to me and I am so impressed with your positive attitude towards life. Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met you in passing at quilt market, and you radiated positivity! I love your attitude towards choosing to be happy. Can't wait to see your beautiful quilt as you quilt along!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Megan! I remember meeting you :) You made one of the Do Si Do quilts, right? SO cute.

      Delete
    2. I can't believe you remember meeting me in all of the craziness that is Quilt Market! And I did make the Do Si Do and I love it - it is being shipped back to me from the quilter today! I can't wait to bind it and start loving it!!! Thank you so much for designing such great patterns and fabric!!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing such sweet thoughts. I now want to quilt along for such a great cause:) thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only do I love your fabric lines, I just gained a whole new level of respect for you while reading this blog post. Thank you for sharing and in doing so, inspiring others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet of you to say, Linda. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Vanessa,
    I was touched by your post. Although my parents were together, when I went through my divorce my kids were very small. They were 5 and 7. I spent all those years raising my kids to be happy, healthy kids and I have always been an optimist as well. I love your motto, to choose happiness. Glad to have found your designs and have picked up some of your patterns and fabric. Cannot wait to use them. It was a fellow IG person Moira who told me about your wonderful gooseberry fabric. I am also signed up for your Designer Block of the month with the Little Miss Sunshine fabric. Fell in love with it. Have a wonderful holiday season. Chris in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Chris, that is so nice of you to say! I'm so glad to meet other people who go through similar things and persevere. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  6. Vanessa I really look forward to sewing with you this year, I was in college when my parents divorced, it's never easy, you are an inspiration. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved hearing how you chose to be happy! And I'm so sorry to hear that you just went through a divorce this year. My hope is that you'll have a much happier year this coming year! And your Sunshine fabric is so pretty: I love the meaning behind the name, and the colors are so happy! Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful attitude you have...such a blessing for your children and yourself!!! I LOVE your fabric and patterns and I hope you find much happiness this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I just love your inspiration for Little Miss Sunshine. I will think of that every time I see that fabric now. We all need to look on the bright side more often. Btw, are you using Little Miss Sunshine for the quilt. I would LOVE to see that. Wow! Look forward to sewing with you this year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vanessa, you are such a beautiful person! I love your outlook on life despite hiccups along the way. You are a total inspiration to me, in many, many ways. :) And your fabric is just gorgeous! All the heart eyes! I can't wait to make the Shuffle quilt we had chatted about. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sound amazing! I can't wait to read more posts that make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It’s truly a great and helpful piece of information. I’m happy that you simply shared this useful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.
    voyance en ligne gratuite

    ReplyDelete
  13. If only more people would have such a wonderful outlook on life as you do! Your story touched me and I thank you for sharing it so openly and sincerely. Cannot wait to get my hands on your Little Miss Sunshine and watch your next YouTube video. I've learned so much from you. Thanks, and keep that sunshine radiating!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to the site it is very nice to be more interactive and more originale.De it has a lot of content and links.


    voyance gratuite en ligne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Agréablement surprise par la découverte de votre site si joli et tellement original
    voyance gratuite par mail

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, I love your blog it's really nice
    continued like that for the rest of it is really perfect believe me.

    voyance mail gratuite

    ReplyDelete