10 October 2010

Week 2: Cutting Fabric & Arranging Blocks

We are ready to cut the fabric into nice 5" squares. Cutting is a really important step and it is absolutely critical to have the right cutting tools.  If you are using scissors to cut your blocks, this is a major problem.  Not only will it take forever to cut the blocks, there is now way they will be uniform in size. It will make it harder to line up seams later and the project won't end up looking as great.
Trust me when I say that I would not survive without my fabulous tools.  I swear by my Omnigrid cutting mat, rotary cutter, and rulers!  It is well-worth the expense to invest in good tools.  The finished product always ends up looking better!
For this project, we need eighty 5" squares. This means we will need ten squares from each fat quarter. To begin, lay one fat quarter onto your cutting mat.  Don't worry about lining up the edges with the grid lines.  In fact, slightly overlap the top and right sides.
Photobucket
Line up the ruler with the grid line just inside the edge of the fabric.  Holding the ruler down firmly (I use the Omnigrid ruler grip double suction cup), cut along the ruler's edge.  Remove the excess scrap.
Photobucket
Move the ruler 5" to the left of the new, clean edge of the fabric.  Hold the ruler down firmly and cut along the edge.  Keep moving to the left 5" and repeat until you have cut four 5" columns.
Photobucket

To cut the columns into blocks, we need a straight top-edge. Turn the ruler perpendicular to the columns, as demonstrated below.  Line up the ruler with the grid line just below the top's edge and cut across.  Move the ruler 5" down from the clean top-edge of the fabric.  Hold the ruler down firmly and cut along the edge. Keep moving down 5" until you have cut three rows of blocks.
Photobucket
You will have twelve 5" blocks (though you only need ten).  Repeat these steps to cut up all of your fat quarters until you have the required amount of blocks.
Photobucket
Now, my favorite part--to arrange them.  I usually spend a good amount of time just playing with the blocks and their order. Here they are, arranged at random:
Photobucket
Or, arranged by color into diagonal lines:
Photobucket
Or arranged to form cute plus-signs:
Photobucket
What do you think?  I think I may have a hankering for plus signs this time around.
Next: Sewing It Together & Basting

6 comments:

  1. I have been waiting for you to post this so I'm excited. I want to find a ruler like the one you have with the handle. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazon.com!!! Just look for Omnigrid rulers and grips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the plus signs as well! would you recommend the omnigrid ruler gripper above the gypsy gripper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never used a gypsy gripper. But I love the omnigrid one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for all the info on fat quarters! And such clear directions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog it has help me your directions are easy to follow. I am so happy to find your blog thank you

    ReplyDelete