6.18.2011

Quilting 101


I love the simplicity of a basic block quilt. It is such a great way to showcase beautiful fabrics! 
Back in 2010, I started this blog after giving birth to my daughter. A few friends had expressed an interest in learning how to quilt, but just didn't know where to start.  I love spreading my quilt addiction, so I decided to put this blog together and do my best to teach them how to get started--with a basic block quilt. Basically, if you know how to sew a straight line with your sewing machine, you can make a quilt! 
There are various ways to arrange the blocks to form patterns.  Sometimes, I enjoy mine placed in random order.  (There is just something about the organized chaos that my eye finds extremely appealing.)   
Other times, the fabric seems to have a mind of its own and I find that the design I had envisioned is not the one I actually go with. 
The important thing is to have fun and take your time! I've broken this basic block quilt into four lessons to really make it comprehensive.
Week 1: Fabric Selection & Pre-Washing
Week 2: Cutting Fabric & Arranging Blocks 
Week 3: Sewing It Together & Basting 
Week 4: Quilting & Binding 

5 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous quilt, I really want to make one! I love your blog, thanks for sharing. You are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and as a beginning quilter, I must say it is very helpful! (I'm currently struggling through a zig-zag quilt so that tutorial was really great for me... too bad I didn't read it before I started) I really love the fabric in this quilt, do you mind sharing what line-designer it is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! love the quilted swirls, so pretty

    Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this quilt, love this site, I recently made my first quilt, based on this design and instructions for my baby grand niece (wow that makes me sound OLD). Thank you Vanessa for making instructions that are so easy to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt. I quilt when I can.

    ReplyDelete