4.21.2011

Baby Boy Texture Book

If you know me at all by now, you know that I love scrap projects.  Check out this fun baby texture book I made for Olive's little friend down the street!


To make the basic fabric book, you will need six 8x18" rectangles in assorted colors and twelve 7" squares of batting.

Photobucket
Fold each fabric rectangle in half and iron the crease in place. This "divider" will help us arrange and center our shapes on each half.  Later, it will help us center a batting square behind each page, and finally, serve as a marker to help us bind the book together.
Photobucket
In order to include a variety of textures, round up any appropriate scraps and embellishments you might want to use.  If the variety at home is sparse, take a trip to your local craft store and check out what they have to offer.
Photobucket
This baby book requires some planning ahead!  Lay out your fabric rectangles in a column and place page markers as indicated.
Photobucket
Sketch your design on paper so you can decide what will fill the pages of your book.  I've jumped way ahead to show you what I came up with.  My shapes are complex and detailed--but yours don't need to be like this if you don't want to put in all that work.  A simple shape book with circles, squares, and triangles, letters, numbers, etc. could be cute too!
Photobucket 
After your initial sketch is finished, you will need to create a paper pattern of the full-scale shapes so you can trace them onto the textured materials.  My baby boy template is available for purchase here.  (I charge $3 for the 3-page PDF, it will be e-mailed to you.) 
I always use a lite HeatnBond iron-adhesive to create my shapes.  I find that it makes the work easier and always looks great!  See the full tutorial here
I've also added lots of letters to personalize the book. To add letters, see my fabric letter tutorial here.) 
Photobucket
Peel off the paper from your shapes and letters. Arrange them onto the pages and iron them in place. Center a batting square behind each "page" and pin in place. Stitch all letters and shapes in place.
Photobucket
Once everything is stitched down, take the first two rectangles in your column.
Photobucket
To prepare them to be sewn together, place them (batting-sides together) so the pictures face out. Line up the edges and pin in place.
Photobucket
Stitch around the rectangle's perimeter using 1/2" seam allowance.
Photobucket
Take the next two rectangles from the column and sew them together using the same steps.  Repeat a third time with the final two rectangles in the column.  Next, make a new column with the following pages facing up: (1 & 10); (3 & 8); and (5 & 6).
Photobucket
Stack the rectangles so that pages 1 & 10 are on the bottom, 3 & 8 in the middle, and 5 & 6 on the top.  (I've staggered the layers below to demonstrate.)
Photobucket
Line up the edges and pin in place.  (Before you sew, feel free to close the book and preview to check that everything is in the right order.)  See the ironed crease?  It marks where we need to sew the book together.
Photobucket
Start the needle so it will go down where the ironed crease meets the perimeter stitching.  I used a zig-zag stitch.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Clip the edges up to the seam allowance (on all pages) and throw the book in the wash to fray.  
Photobucket
The fraying adds another level of texture to the book!
Photobucket
I love how it turned out!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

And just a special note about buttons: because of the choking hazard they pose to babies, I cannot recommend that you use them.  There are a lot of other alternatives you can use like pom-poms, fabric circles, or stitching.

50 comments:

  1. I love it! I wish you were doing a giveaway. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is INCREDIBLE! I always love seeing stuff for little boys, there's never enough of it out there. Love it! :) You should definitely come and link up at the party this week. This one is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a darling idea!! I love, love, love it! I can't wait to make one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love this! I've been wanting to make a soft feel/quiet book, this will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!! I have seen other quiet books but yours rocks! I love the fabrics you used!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just stumbled upon your blog and im TOTALLY IN LOVE with your style!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so cute. makes me wish i could sew. great tutorial. and cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic project- this is so cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow. What a wonderful gift this would make! The sentiment behind it is unmeasured. http://thelarsonlingo.blogspot.com/2011/04/tie-dyed-easter-eggs.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted to let you know that I featured this book on my blog today! It has been "stuffed in my gunny sack"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is just adorable!!! What a creative idea!!! I'd really like to make one for my new born niece... I will feature this on my blog if you don't mind!!
    I found your blog through Tatertots and Jello!! I'm so glad I did:)
    Have a great weekend and a Happy Easter:)
    Eleni@sewhappiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is precious! I may have to give it a shot for the next baby shower that I attend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could sew! This is so adorable! Thanks for sharing such a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. That really makes me wish I could sew!!!
    Amazing ... love it!
    ~Bec

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw Jamie Lynn's feature of this, and I have now officially added it to my to do list for my boys birthdays. They are both in July. Hopefully I can create at least one by then.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such an adorable book, such a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi There- I love this so MUCH, SO MUCH I DO! My baby boy is being born tomorrow via c-section and we are naming him Evin, another reason I love this. Evin spelled like his dad Kevin, dropping the "K"

    Anyway, I adore this and I NEED a few Guest posts for my blog would you like to guest post on CraftOManiac? you can send me the HTML code to this post to my email jenglamgirl@gmail.com with a small intro. at the top. I would love to feature this. Thanks-winks-jen

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this and I'd love it if you linked it up to my weekly link party! http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/2011/04/running-with-glitter-6-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute & looks cuddly. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday - would love if you added the party button to your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my goodness! this is so great!! looks like it took a lot of effort, but it is so beautiful!

    Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!! Hope to see ya again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I just love this! One of my best friends is having her first boy in a few months. I think I will have to make one of these for her. Thanks for sharing the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is really cute! I need to make my kids something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a great blog! and a super cute craft. I'm jealous, you are very talented. I'm a ultra beginner at sewing and couldn't pull this off but I LOVE it.

    I'm your new follower!
    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. love love it! new follower- & already a big fan!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are AWESOME! This is such a great idea! I am going to have to make one of these for my little boy - thanks so much for sharing this at Fantastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for joining the party @ Inspire Me Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Vanessa~

    So cute & creative!! Thanks for linking to my K.I.S.S. blog bash last week, looking forward to seeing what you share this week.

    Drop By The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great idea & the boy designs are super cute! You've been featured at this week's Craftastic Monday party. Stop by & grab a Featured On button:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. That book is incredible and totally puts my soft baby book to shame. I love the themes you used and it's so clean/colorful/fun!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have been wanting to make a quiet book and I think I now have some inspiration! I love love love your idea!

    I will be featuring you tomorrow on Spunky Junky!

    xoxo
    Halsey

    ReplyDelete
  31. I featured this on my blog today

    http://kimboscrafts.blogspot.com/2011/05/shout-outs.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is incredibly cute!! I just featured you on my blog today:

    http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2011/05/wednesdays-wowzers-arrives-early.html

    Thanks for inspiring!
    ~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  33. this is amazing! i'm getting ready to make my baby boy a counting quiet book, and this was just the inspiration i needed.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is SUCH an adorable book! We have our 2nd Grandchild arriving in early September and already have been told it's a boy. This would be adorable to make.

    I am wondering what exactly is included in the info you are selling to make the book but I keep getting an error for the link. I'd like to see what it is before paying however. Is this going to be put on your Etsy site at some point as well as the adorable baby girls' book too? Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a fantastic project! I've been wanting to make a softcover book for my niece, but I wasn't sure how to start. This really helps a lot. If you want, come link up sometime at I Made It! Monday at Ninth Street Notions.

    ReplyDelete
  36. excellent tute ty. i am impressed with the detail.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Vanessa, where do you find your fabric? I love the green chevron but don't know where to look for it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. The green chevron print is manufactured by Michael Miller Fabrics. I would check etsy, local quilt shops, etc. It has been out for quite some time so I'm not sure how easy it is to find!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I just love these Vanessa! Thanks for emailing me. I'm posting about you and your blog/texture books right now! Thanks for connecting. -Anna (www.quietbook.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Just curious... Do you prewash the fabric before making the book? Looking at pictures it dosen't appear so, but I wanted to be sure. I'm new to sewing and am making a similar book as a gift and don't want it to go badly! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for sharing the page layouts! It really helped me to create my son's quiet book! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am so excitied about this project. Have two small grandsons that I have been wanting to do something for and this fits the bill. I did my other older grandsons a quiet book last year and have made them some new pages to add to their book. I am making a run to Hobby Lobby today to get the materials. Hoping I can make these by Easter! Thanks so much!
    Vicki Mac

    ReplyDelete
  43. Camila Gallagher5/24/12, 2:40 PM

    Oh! WOW! I looooooooved it. Too bad my sewing skills are zero. Are you sure you don't want to make some to sell...lol... I will buy it. Congrats to you all who can sew! It's a great idea and the step by step looks super easy.

    ReplyDelete
  44. thank you for the tutorial on how to put the book together. i just finished and it is in the washer...nervous but sure it will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I really love your blog.. Excellent colors & theme. Did you
    make this website yourself? Please reply back as I'm wanting to create my own site and would like to find out where you got this from or exactly what the theme is named. Thanks!
    Here is my blog post ; static cling remedies

    ReplyDelete
  46. I made one!! Your blog is so inspiring, thank you for sharing this awesome tutorial! I blogged about my version here: http://goodquilthunting.blogspot.com/2013/01/baby-boy-softbook.html

    ReplyDelete
  47. THIS IS AN AWESOME CRAFT AND WOULD BE SO FUN TO SEW. I HAVE ADDED IT TO MY FAVORITES AND AM EXCITED TO MAKE 1 OR SEVERAL. THANK YOU FOR SHARING


    Bernysblessings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. this is really cute for boys! do you the patterns for the appliques?

    ReplyDelete